Sunday, September 04, 2005

Even the Wind and Waves Obey


I took this photo at Point Loma in California this summer. I was looking through our pictures from the trip to San Diego and looking again at the power of the ocean - even on a calm day - I was reminded of the story in Mark where Jesus calms the storm. With everything going on right now I have felt particularly helpless and somewhat overwhelmed by the world's wars, disaster and poverty. Just like the disciples, at sea in the midst of a storm, I want to say to the Lord "do you not care that we are perishing?" Jesus calms the storm in that story and asks the disciples why they were afraid - if they had no faith. Faith is difficult in difficult times, but it is in those times that faith is most needed. Just like those disciples, I am helpless on my own, so I will hold to faith and continue to pray the the Lord will calm the storms raging in the world today.

No comments: