Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Bright Side

Kim tagged me to play "Polyanna" - pick three negative things from your life and find the positive in them. Definitely a good idea - so much of life is what we make of it! So here's mine . . .

1. My family lives very far away - they live in Michigan, I live in Arizona - the upside of that is that I have really come to appreciate them. When I lived right there I took it for granted that I could go over to mom and dad's whenever, but now that it's a day's flying to get there I really appreciate visits. And, I think not having them right on top of me has actually made me closer, especially to my mom - I'm a lot more open with her now.

2. My job exposes me to a lot of very, very ugly things. As a judicial clerk, I spend a lot of time at work reading about horrible crimes and people's very sad and desperate lives. But, in doing that I've come to have more empathy for others - you just never know what led a person to a certain place - and it has made me very appreciative of my own life. I grew up in a normal, healthy family and I am married to a wonderful man who loves and appreciate me. So many people don't have those things and live much of their lives in fear and pain - I am so blessed!

3. I am a liberal in an increasingly conservative church. I struggle with this a lot. It has, however, taught me to speak kindly and not to jump to conclusions about people's motivations and beliefs. It has also taught me a lot of patience.

No comments: