Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I won a National Leadership Award, but don't get too excited

I hardly even know where to begin, I guess I'll start from the start - I got this phone call from someone in Congressman Tom Reynolds' office . . .

The Call

Now, Tom Reynolds is a fairly well-known Republican and I've been a registered Independent for a number of years. Plus, they don't even say my name right. But, I did go to a Christian college and I've done a lot of volunteering and what not, so I think maybe they're overlooking my liberal leanings. But, I am, putting it mildly, very suspicious at this point. So, I get on the internet to check this thing out. Turns out this is just a giant fundraising scam! They'll give you the "award," but if you want in on the "press release" they mention in the call, it's gonna cost you $300. And, it sounds like there's even more opportunities to give money to get a congressional award - this guy called back and got the whole leadership award "experience," check it out on his BLOG

I just couldn't be more appalled by this. I mean seriously, what have things come to that 1) I'm suspicious when I get a call from a congressman (and yes the calls are actually from the congressman's office!) and 2) congressmen are basically selling congressional awards! Just when you thought these people couldn't get any worse, they come up with some new travesty. Unbelievable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I just can't believe what happened to you. It's terrible.

Darla said...

Wow Lisa how horrible and unbelievable!

Anonymous said...

I think this is so funny! I loved the link to the other blog, too! I am glad that you thought it through first! And, I am really glad that you think well enough of yourself that you don't have to pay someone $300 for a bogus award!

Still laughing! N

Anonymous said...

This is great! My wife got one of these calls today, but it was from Tom Cole of Oklahoma. Then I found out the scumbag congressman one district over (Tom Reynolds) is doing the same thing.

Some are calling for censure over this! I think it's a great idea.

Campaign finance laws PROTECT politicians from doing these things that people in the private sector would probably get arrested for.

But then again, Tom Reynolds isn't new to to turning a blind eye to things people can get arrested for.