Friday, September 15, 2006

Justice Ginsburg


I had the opportunity to hear Justice Ginsburg speak this week at the UA Law School. We are fortunate here to have had several justices visit us, including O'Connor and Rehnquist (I even took a class from him!), but I sort of figured that with Rehnquist's passing and O'Connor's retirement the days of Justices in Arizona might be over for a time. But, the school managed to get Ginsburg to come for one of its big speaking series to discuss the impact that O'Connor and Rehnquist had on the Court and her experiences with them. It was really interesting - she was thoughtful and funny (albeit in the way that only lawyers really find funny LOL) and it really got me thinking about how blessed I am as a woman to live at this place and time in history. Even as late as the 1970's, it is unlikely that I would have the opportunities that I do today, particularly in the legal field. It's easy to forget how things were and to take for granted the rights we have today. Hearing about the experiences of the brave women like O'Connor and Ginsburg who entered the field before me always inspires me to do more and to make the most of the opportunities I have! All in all, I was honored to hear her in person and it inspired the layout at left :)
And, by the way, how great are these papers by Vera Lim? They're from her new Autumn Days kit - gorgeous! And, Jennifer Howland's Dirty Flourish brushes rock too - I love the one I used here! Thanks to Rhonna Farrer for the great font tip too - the title is Newcastle which she suggested on her blog and I love it!

No comments: