Monday, December 19, 2005

Feelin' a little Scrooge


It seems to be going around this year - a general sense of "bah-humbug" about Christmas. I have it too. I usually create a Christmas explosion at home - decorating every available corner and a big old live Christmas tree. This year we didn't get a tree and I haven't gotten out any decorations. I'm just not feelin' Christmasy this year. I think it's the fact that I've been getting Christmas forced down my throat since sometime in September. I miss the days when Christmas was something to look forward to. I couldn't wait for the season to start! But now the season is half the year and I'm just ready for it to be over - the hype, the advertising and the endless barrage of "must have" gifts. This just isn't what Christmas is about.

We watched a lot of sports this weekend and nearly every single advertising break had an ad for diamonds - apparently this is the only appropriate gift for a woman. I hate that! I mean, diamonds are fine, but what happened to personal, well-thought gifts that actually have something to do with the things the woman in your life is passionate about? Diamonds just seem too safe and easy to me - not to mention the whole blood-diamonds problem. Anyway, this was just one small example of what I see going on throughout our culture in regards to Christmas - it's just a big shopping event! So, instead of spending gobs of money on the next big thing, let's give to those less fortunate and give from the heart to those we love. Let's forget about fighting over whether to say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" and reclaim our holiday spirit, whatever holiday we celebrate - a time for love, joy, peace, and family. I'm feeling a little less Scroogey already!

No comments: